This article explains how to use the Candidate Search tool for locating relevant candidates using advanced search criteria. It explains usage of each search criteria with examples and usage scenarios.
Most candidate searches involve using key criteria such as location, experience, qualifications, employment for locating relevant candidates. Hence it is important to be aware of how you can effectively use such criteria separately or in combination via Talenture IH’s Candidate Search Tool so that you get the desired results.
1.0 Using Location Criteria
The Candidate Search Tool provides location-related criteria to enable searching out candidates from specific locations, preferred locations of even areas within a city/town etc.
This field refers to the current location of a candidate. Select 1 or more locations in the ‘Location’ box to get candidates based in specific locations.
If you want to locate candidates from Delhi and its surrounding regions.
Select ‘Delhi-NCR’ from the Location box. This will automatically include all cities/towns falling in the Delhi-NCR region.
You want to locate candidates from the entire Northern region of India.
Select ‘North’ from the Zones categories. All cities & states falling in the specified zone will then get automatically included.
You want to apply the search on candidates from Karnataka state in India.
In the ‘Location’ box, scroll down to the Select Complete States category and select ‘Karnataka’. This will include all cities that fall within the limits of the state. Note that you can also select multiple States/Union Territories by holding down the ‘Ctrl’ key.
a. Area-wise Search Using Pincode
You can search for candidates in specific areas/localities within a city using the ‘Pincode’ field. For example, if you want candidates from localities in the Old Delhi areas of Delhi city, you can use the pin code ‘110006’.
b. Using Preferred Location
Sometimes you may want to search out candidates on the basis of their job location preference or willingness to relocate to a different location than their current location. In such cases you can use the ‘Preferred Location’ field.
You can combine current location and preferred location criteria using the Boolean ‘AND’, ‘OR’ operator.
You want candidates who are currently in ‘Mumbai’ location but whose preferred location may be ‘Bangalore’, ‘Hyderabad’ or ‘Chennai’.
- In the ‘Location’ box, select ‘Mumbai’.
- In the ‘Preferred Locations’ section, select the ‘AND’ radio-button.
- Next to ‘Pref. Location’, click on the ‘+Add’ icon and then from the location drop-down select the first preferred location ‘Bangalore’ and click OK. Repeat for the other locations. Then close the location dialog.
You want candidates whose current or preferred job location is either ‘Bangalore’ or ‘Hyderabad’.
- In the ‘Location’ box, select ‘Bangalore’ & ‘Hyderabad’.
- In the ‘Preferred Locations’ section, select the ‘OR’ radio-button.
- Next to ‘Pref. Location’, click on the ‘+Add’ icon and then from the location drop-down select the ‘Bangalore’ & ‘Hyderabad’ locations one after the other as done in previous example. Then close the location dialog.
1.1 Using Qualification Criteria
You can search out candidates based on their Under Graduate or Post Graduate qualifications from the ‘Qualifications Details’ section.
You can combine both UG & PG Qualification criteria using the Boolean ‘AND’, ‘OR’ operator.
You want to search out candidates who are graduates in any discipline but also have a post graduate MBA degree.
- In the ‘UG Qualification’ drop-down, select ‘Any Basic Graduation Degree’.
- Select the ‘AND’ radio-button before the ‘PG Qualification’ drop-down.
- In the ‘PG Qualification’ drop-down, select ‘MBA-Any’
You want to search out candidates who either have an Under Graduate BE/B.Tech degree in Computer Engineering or an M.E/M.Tech Post Graduation degree in any discipline.
- In the ‘UG Qualification’ drop-down, select ‘BE/B.Tech’ and then tick ‘Computer Engineering’ under it.
- Select the ‘OR’ radio-button before the ‘PG Qualification’ drop-down.
- In the ‘PG Qualification’ drop-down, select ‘ME/M.Tech’ and tick ‘Any’ under it.
1.2 Using Employment Criteria
Use the Employment/Experience Details section to search out candidates by combine multiple employment aspects such as previous/current employers, designation etc.
You want to search out candidates who’ve previously worked with ‘American Express’ or ‘HSBC Banks’ with a designation of ‘Branch Manager’ or ‘Branch In-charge’
- In the ‘Include Candidates from the following Employers’ field, type ‘American Express’, ‘HSBC Bank’, in the adjacent drop-down, select ‘Previous Employer’ and next to it select ‘Any of the specified terms’.
- In the ‘Designation’ field type both the desired roles i.e. ‘Branch Manager’, ‘Branch In-charge’, in the adjacent drop-down, select ‘Current Designation’ and next to it select ‘Any of the specified terms’.
You want to search out candidates for a company ‘Convergys’ and want to avoid seeing candidates who’ve previously worked with or are currently working with this company.
In the ‘Exclude Candidates from the following Employers’ field, type ‘Convergys’, in the adjacent drop-down, select ‘Current or Previous Employer’.
Note the following when using the Employment Details section:
- Talenture IH combines the ‘Include Candidates from the following Employers’, ‘Exclude Candidates from the following Employers’ and ‘Designation’ search criteria with an implicit ‘AND’ operator.
This means that if you’ve given criteria in all of the 3 employment fields, only those candidates who match all 3 criteria will be shown in the results.
- You can type multiple company names/designations also in the Employer and Designation boxes. In such a case use the drop-down under ‘Search In’.
- Any of the specified terms: Select this to show candidates with any of the specified employers/designations
- All of the specified terms: Select this to show candidates with all of the specified employers/designations
- Boolean Expression: Select this to combine multiple employers/designations using the AND, OR operations. For e.g. “Microsoft OR Adobe OR Oracle”
1.3 Using Job Functions (Roles) Criteria
Use the Job Functions tab to search out candidates based on specific roles instead of keywords. This is based on the classification of candidates into Functional Classifications.
a. Apply a Job Function Search
To apply a Job Function-based search you first need to select the ‘Classified Candidates’ set and then select a top-level Functional Area. Talenture IH will then show all its related sub-groups and their roles.
You can select a maximum of 5 different roles for applying a search. Note that you can also combine this with other criteria in the Basic or Advanced tabs.
You want to search for candidates in either of the following Accounts/Finance roles having more than 5 years experience and having a Chartered Accountancy (C.A) degree. The candidates should be from ‘Delhi-NCR’ location.
- Accounts Manager
- Direct Taxation Manager
- Audit Manager
To apply the above search:
- In the Job Functions tab from the Functional Class Data drop-down, select 'Classified Candidates'
- In the Functional Group drop-down select the ‘Accounts/Finance/Audit’. This will show all its related job roles in the section below.
- In the section showing the job roles, from the ‘Accounts’ category, tick ‘Accounts Manager’ and ‘Taxation-Direct Manager’ then scroll down and from the ‘Finance & Audit’ category, tick next to ‘Audit Manager’.
- Now click on the Basic tab. Select ‘Delhi-NCR’ region from the ‘Location drop-down.
- In the ‘Experience’ field select ‘Min Exp.’ as ‘5’ and from the ‘PG Qualifications’ drop-down, select ‘C.A – Chartered Accountant’.
- Click on ‘Find’.
The above search will apply a combined search using the criteria given in both the Job Functions and Basic tabs.
2. Related Resources